Our History

Serving Sydney families since 1882.
Portrait of George Adrill

1882

George Edward Adrill founded Home of Hope

Founder George Ardill, a printer and preacher, opens a Women’s Refuge in Sussex St Sydney known as the Home of Hope

Sydney Rescue Work Society exterior of building

1890

Sydney Rescue Work Society was formed

The Sydney Rescue Society (The Society) was formed to continue the work of George Ardill, led by the Chief Justice of NSW, Sir Fredrick Darley.

Historical early 1900s image of a group of young girls

1911

The Society expands its services

The Society was by now managing a number of agencies serving the community such as the South Sydney Women’s Hospital, the Jubilee Home for working and unemployed women, the Adoption Agency and Roslyn Hall Babies Home (Rockdale).

Historical mid 1900s image of homeless man

1930

Advocating for the needy

The services of the Society had extended to a District Nursing Service, several mission halls and George Ardill himself was active in social advocacy for the needy and outcast.

Historical image of women serving tea to men

1934

Ardill awarded M.B.E.

George Ardill was awarded an MBE for services to the community.

historical image of man speaking to a room full of people

1943

George Ardill retires

George Ardill retires at the age of 86 having served as a Director for a period of 61 years and is succeeded by Rev Dr Harold Whitmore Dart, a Baptist minister.

Historical image of homeless people eating

1945

George Ardill passes away
Historical image of children eating in dinning hall

1956

Dr Dart retires

Dr Dart concludes his service and was subsequently awarded an OBE for service to the community.

Historical image of missionaries

1965

Support services continue to grow

The Society had by now extended its services to include Lidcombe State Hospital Mission, the provision of food and clothing for homeless and destitute men and women, support for single and unmarried pregnant girls and a hostel for business girls.

Historic 1950s image of little boy

1975

A new direction

A pilot project was commenced in the field of day care for children and the Society sought to find a new direction in its activities.

1980s image of carers helping children walk on balance beam

1982

The birth of Communicare

By this year the Society had established a network of child care services and had reinvented itself as a specialist in this area of community need. Toward the end of this period leading up to the year 2000 the Society had changed its name to Communicare.

Modern image of children sitting in circle playing

2010

Communicare becomes lntegricare

Communicare changed its name to Integricare, having established itself in the early learning sector and providing services in family day care, supported playgroups and family support services.

Girl in pink top smiling at camera

2018

Present day

With over 200 employees and 11 early learning centres, Integricare also offers caring support services to families in need.

Find out more about how to enrol your child.